Monday, November 18, 2013

Possible Retirement of this Site…..Mormon Moms Who Blog

I've been pondering on the retirement of this site.

I've worked on it for over 8 yrs. with the intention of posting positive messages that would strengthen and uplift.  I've spent thousands of hours adding people, learning how to do things, trying to make the site better a bit at a time, doing a FB group, G+, pinterest, twitter site.  I've recently had to learn how to make meme's and…lots of these technical things don't come easy for me.  :)  But, I've enjoyed the work and started it by way of strong prompting and…kept at it for the same reason.

Because it is an aggregate list of over 600 bloggers - it's received great viewership from around the world.  This has been gratifying to me and, I hope, helpful to the listed bloggers as well as readers searching for information.


Most of the bloggers don't realize that by being listed on an aggregate site - their own indexing by google is increased.  Since I've linked to them - they have a better chance of being seen and read.  I'm grateful for a few people who have expressed appreciation to me over the years.  I've appreciated that.
Most haven't and…haven't added my 'grab button' that I asked them to.  But, I haven't had the time to go back and ask them all to do so.  Motherhood, itself, is a full-time job.  :)

My desire when I started the site - was to connect Mormon Mom Bloggers who were sharing good and positive messages - into a place where all could connect and strengthen one another.  I've worked at it diligently as my part of my desire to use my gifts and talents in a positive way and with the goal of living a consecrated life to the best of my ability.

But, I'm a single-mom and…haven't made any income from the site.  I'm now at the point with one missionary out and another preparing to serve - that I can't keep up the work load (which includes a twitter acct., pinterest page, FB group, G+ page etc) without making an income.

I've been told by several sources that I need to feature a product in order to make money.  But, since my goal wasn't to make money, and since my 'product' is truth and correct principles - I've had to decide whether to 'market' on this site - and…sell something that I'm not sure you all need - or to do something else.

I'm still debating what to do.  I've given my all to make a place that could bless lives - yet, I've struggled in the process to provide for my own family.

I've looked for sponsors - but, to this point, haven't had success with that and….haven't had the time to follow through with it as I would have liked to do.

As I've searched diligently, in the light of Christ, as to what to do - I thought I'd at least share my thoughts and….see if there might be anyone out there who'd like to take over and….further this work.
The viewership is large and from all over the world.

This site could use technical expertise.  Some of us started blogging and continued to do so after Elder Ballard asked us to 'join the conversation.'  We did so out of the desire to participate in the furthering of the work of loving and serving others' while teaching correct principles, but, we also did so knowing our own limitations, expertise and…lack thereof.

So….if there are any of you out there who'd be interested in talking with me about this - drop me a line.

Thanks,
and..I hope that the work I've done has been of some benefit to some of you.

Heidi

12 comments:

Lisa said...

I don't think I ever listed my blog, but I follow...how sad to see you go, but it is completely understandable. Lots and lots of work, I imagine.

Meredith said...

I don't think I ever listed my blog either. I think I'm following you on twitter, which is what brought me here. :) Blogging IS a lot of work. I can see why you would want to stop. Unfortunately, I don't see how a blog can survive without sponsors, and ads, etc. when you are putting in the time. If you do have a good readership and good numbers, you should be able to make some money! No? I know a little tiny bit about some of that (I'm learning still too) and might be interested in talking to you. My email is fakingpictureperfect@gmail.com. If someone took over for you, their goal might be different than yours, though. So, you have to consider that as well! -Meredith

Heidi Allen Garvin said...

Thank you, Lisa! That means a lot!

And…thank you, too, Meredith. I appreciate that!
No, ads don't' make much money on blogs. People are 'ad blind' these days. :) Sponsors or affiliates are still the best possibility for my situation.

I appreciate both your comments and will consider them as I go forward!

Thank you!

RoMay J. Allen said...

I have a few ideas :)

1. Sell ebooks that are about blogging - tips to setting up a blog, how to drive traffic, etc. - things that will be helpful for the people who come to your site.

Call me for more ...

Rick Graham said...

Sorry to possibly see this site go away. As a 'Mormon Daddy/Grandpa who blogs' , I understand perfectly though. I tried to do the November grateful blog post a day thing - I made it to day 10. Blogging is hard and it is a labor of love. I can just imagine how exponentially it is being a conglomerate site.

Whatever you decide to do, I'm sure it will be after prayer.

Rick
www.ldshappy.com

Lorem clinton said...

Really a great blog with a best thoughts and ideas are shared thanks for sharing such an interesting article.
Cleaning Services

Heidi Allen Garvin said...

Thanks to you all!

It's been a great ride. I've enjoyed getting to know so many of you and….learning from you!

This is a matter of prayer and consideration as I know that this site has reached a global audience and…for that, I'm grateful.

I'll continue to seek what's next for me and….will let you know. :)

Thank you for your kind comments and well-wishes!

Heidi

Sue said...

It will be a shame to see this blog go, and I hope someone savvy will come along to help you. It's been sad in the last couple of years to see a lot of blogs shut down, and even those who are still around seem to post less. I know I do, having gone from every day but Sunday to once or twice a week. My interests are just pulled elsewhere, and "real life" seems to be taking up a lot more space since my husband retired.

It's clear that blogging isn't as widespread as it used to be, but I think you have done and are doing a lot of good here, so I am going to pray that a tech savvy helper will come your way. If not, please stay in touch via the other media we share.

=)

LeAnn said...

I really hope you will keep this site. It is an uplifting missionary effort blog. I have benefited by your posts and the links to other great writer.
I think it would be great to get some advertising on this to earn some money for all of our hard work.
Blessings and hugs for all you do. You have done a tremendous job. on this.

Heidi Allen Garvin said...

Thank you, LeAnn. Your words always mean a lot to me. I know that you, too, have worked very hard on your site. And…all for service too. :)

Unless we have an actual 'product' to sell - it's hard to make any money. We didn't do this for profit, did we? But…as time goes on and the work becomes greater - we have to choose what to do.

My kids want to eat sometimes, and have clothes to wear and a place to live. :) So…I'm debating as to what to do. I can't keep this up without having some way to compensate for it. So…I'm going to have to go back to work - or make an income this way and…that's not seeming to happen. That is my dilemma.

Thanks for your insights and encouragement. I hope to find the right solutions and will post when I do. :) Thanks and…much appreciation to you for all your work and for all your wonderful comments and help you give to so many!

Grammy T. said...

I would love to list your blog on my site. I am hit or miss as a blogger but am picking it back up. You do what you want but I love your site and will grab your button. :)

Grammy T. said...

PS:
I have your button. :)