Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Freedom Festival Fireside

My children, Andrew, Ashley and I, attended the Freedom Festival Fireside at BYU this past Sunday evening, June 29th.  Laura Bush gave the keynote address; a beautiful message on Freedom and what it means to be an American, and also updated us on her family since leaving the White House.

I was taken by her sincerity and the dignified way in which she handled her topic as well as the heckler in the audience (who, sadly, happened to be at the end of our row.)

 As the audience arose to give her a standing-ovation I felt a strength-in-unity in the room.  We seemed to applaud not only the way she handled the interruption but also in support of her long-time service and years of sacrifice.

Provo's 'Freedom Festival" Sunday Fireside 2014 - Keynote Address by Laura Bush, former First Lady of the U.S.A.

My desire has often been to continue to build in my children a love of country, and fellowship with patriots.  It seems to be that we have fewer and fewer opportunities to gather as countrymen and speak of the founding of this great nation (U.S.A) under the guidance of Almighty God.

The youth speaker, winner of the 'essay' contest, was also fabulous.  He spoke of the sacrifices and turmoils of those who have gone before and...offered their 'last full measure of devotion' and how we owe them a debt - that needs to be paid.  He reminded us of the great Gettysburg Address and how we should truly NEVER FORGET.

I'm thankful for the opportunity to worship how I desire because of the freedoms hard won.  We are only free because of the sacrifices of others and I hope that we truly will never forget or take for granted.  We, too, have a responsibility to stand firm and true and to vote in ways that will keep us that way.