Saturday, January 24, 2015

To Serve in the Lord's Way

Today I felt to share a message about service in the Lord's way.

"We are the Lord’s hands here upon the earth, with the mandate to serve and to lift His children. He is dependent upon each of us. …That service to which all of us have been called is the service of the Lord Jesus Christ." -  Monson
We are to use our Hands in His Service

Particular people come to mind when I think of those who serve most and who serve best.

I think of a certain couple in a previous ward who see and respond to many needs.  They reach out in love, compassion, care and service in a myriad of ways.  They have been an answer to my heartfelt prayers on several occasions.

When I woke this morning with a strong prompting to write about them, I sought permission from the wife.  She was so sweet yet so hesitant to be named.  I respect her wishes as all the things she and her husband have done are because of their love of the Lord, their desire to serve their fellowmen, and their desire to do so without worldly attention.  That, in itself, is a beautiful message to all.

So, I am rewriting the whole post and including very little about them, except to say that they 'go about doing good' and are an example of using their hands as the Lord would have them.  They have greatly blessed their ward, their neighborhood, their community, and...the world at large - in their service and work.  I love them and thank them for the many kindnesses they have shown to me and to all those around them.

I also think of an elderly man in my current ward who calls every ward member on their birthday - even the youth.  This has touched many of us deeply; that he'd care about each member his his ward 'family' enough to acknowledge them each personally on their special day.

Each of us can do our part to make the world a better place.  They may be small things; but....'by small and simple things are great things brought to pass.'  Alma 37:6