Monday, July 13, 2015

Aunt Nancy's Fresh Apple Cake

For last night's dinner I needed to use up some apples and thought that apple cake sounded good.  So, I flipped through some of my Mom's old recipe books and found this one in an old ward (church) cookbook.  It's from my precious Aunt Nancy (who'll be 91 next month) and I loved the thought of her recipe being part of our family meal.  The cake turned out deliciously well, so I thought I'd share it with the rest of you. (This recipe works well with a few substitutes for those who are gluten intolerant or off sugar.)

Aunt Nancy's Fresh Apple Cake

3/4 c oil (or part olive oil and part applesauce)
1 1/2 c sugar (or equivalent of honey or agave)
3 eggs (farm fresh are best)
3 c flour (a combo or white, wheat, rice or almond)
1 tsp salt
1 tsp soda
2 tsp cinnamon (optional) 
1 c. nuts (we used walnuts - optional)
2 tsp vanilla
3 c shredded apples

Beat eggs, sugar and oil.  Add remaining ingredients (apples and nuts last).  Bake at 350 degrees for 45-55 min in large, greased, cake pan. Top with ice cream or whipping cream.  Enjoy.

Aunt Nancy's Fresh Apple Cake