Sunday, May 27, 2012

WHY Study the Scriptures?

Why are we 'supposed' to Study the Scriptures?  Can't we make-it without doing so?  Aren't we able to access truths in other ways?  Do we really need to do it regularly?

Do we need physical nourishment and exercise regularly?

My experience is that opening the scriptures - opens a conduit to Heaven.

When my children were small and sometimes scared at bedtime - I'd have them snuggle their personal copy of the Book of Mormon.  It seemed to comfort them even more than their stuffed animal.  That was because they'd previously felt the Spirit teach them sacred and comforting truths during family scripture study.  They knew, also, from my testimony at the end of some of our discussions, that these teachings were more than just good ideas.  They were the sure-way home.

I know it's not always 'easy' to have planned family scripture time.  Guidance from the Spirit has been the best way for me know if and when to talk of sacred things.  It's usually during unexpected times when my children ask questions of life and learning.  Teaching moments, and a child's desire to learn, seem to come most often when there is a need or desire or open space to fill.  For that reason I am extremely grateful that I've made the sacrifices to be able to be home with my children.  I know that some mothers can't - and the Lord will compensate them - but I also know that others' chose not to because it's hard. Those are the ones for whom I feel sad.  They are missing special learning opportunities and their children will be deplete from some of the most important lessons of life.

I love this message from President Benson: "...Studying and searching the scriptures is not a burden laid upon [us] by the Lord, but a marvelous blessing and opportunity'.   He also said that as we do so "Testimonies will increase.  Commitment will be strengthened. Families will be fortified. Personal revelation will flow."

Do we take these promises seriously - knowing that the Lord is bound if we do as He says?

I am grateful for light from above - that descends to teach, nurture, comfort, enlighten, fortify and.....refine.  In order to become like our Father - we need to feel as and know what He does.  He wants that for us and has given us all He can to help us accomplish it. We'd be 'stupid' to do anything otherwise.