Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Happiness is....Two Kinds of Ice Cream

For some reason this song was stuck inside my head this morning.  No, I don't often listen to it and yes, my daughter was in the school play 6 years ago when this song was sung.  So, no, I really don't know why it came to me again this morning (as it sometimes does when I'm just driving along or busy doing something else.)  Perhaps it's the catchy tune or the sweet lyrics.  Or...perhaps it's that thing inside me that says "hmmm, I'm not sure if that's true doctrine" (which also is something that often happens to me in my quest for truth.)

But, the lyrics are nice and probably uplifting to most.  They speak of childhood days-gone-by and the oft-remembered memories of yesteryear.

But, the only words of this song that even ever come to me are 'Happiness is two kinds of ice cream, finding your skate key, telling the time."  And, I know that they're in the wrong order and even the some of the wrong words when they come to me.  But, for some reason they do and...perhaps I need to think about them more and focus on the sweet little things that bring each of us happiness and joy each day.

Happiness is:
Happiness is finding a pencil.
Pizza with sausage.
Telling the time.
Happiness is learning to whistle.
Tying your shoe for the very first time.

Happiness is playing the drum in your own school band.
And happiness is walking hand in hand.
Happiness is two kinds of ice cream.
Knowing a secret.
Climbing a tree.

Happiness is five different crayons.
Catching a firefly.
Setting him free.
Happiness is being alone every now and then.
And happiness is coming home again.

Happiness is morning and evening,
Daytime and night time too.
For happiness is anyone and anything at all
That’s loved by you.

Happiness is having a sister.
Sharing a sandwich.
Getting along.
Happiness is singing together when day is through,
And happiness is those who sing with you.

Happiness is morning and evening,
Daytime and nighttime too.
For happiness is anyone and anything at all
That’s loved by you.


From the musical "You're a Good Man, Charlie Brown" (1967).
Midi sequenced by Soryk@aol.com.
Music and lyrics by Clark Gesner