Thursday, May 29, 2014

We Must Inspire Young Women to be Wives, Mothers and Homemakers

Mothers are vital to the creation of a climate of safety for the nurture and growth of children and the family as a whole. 

“Nurturing mothers are knowledgeable, but all the education women attain will avail them nothing if they do not have the skill to make a home that creates a climate for spiritual growth…Nurturing requires organization, patience, love, and work.” -Daughters in My Kingdom

Cleaning and Organizing, Home Beautification, Cooking and Sewing are wonderful and important skills to develop and nurture.  They do not have to be lost skills. 
 
From a beautiful discourse by Susan W. Tanner we are reminded of the following: 
"...we must teach homemaking skills, including practical ones such as cooking, sewing, budgeting, and beautifying. We must let young women know that homemaking skills are honorable and can help them spiritually as well as temporally. Making a home appealing physically will encourage loved ones to want to be there and will help create the kind of atmosphere that is conducive to the Spirit. 

"We must help young women develop practical and spiritual skills that will bless their future homes.

"We must inspire young women to want to be wonderful wives, mothers, and homemakers.

"My best and most consistent example in learning the joys of homemaking and mothering was my own mother. She told me many times every day how much she treasured being a mother and homemaker, and then she lived those words in every action. She sang as she folded laundry; she exulted over the clean smell in a freshly scrubbed bathroom; she taught me how to read and write, sew and cook, love and serve. Because she emanated the Spirit and the fruits of love, joy, peace, meekness, long-suffering, and temperance, I felt it, and I knew I wanted the same things in my life. Her example continues to teach me daily. " 

For some of my previous posts about cooking, cleaning, organization etc. you can find ideas here or on an older blog - simplify heart and home