Thursday, August 2, 2012

Important Role of Mothers in Lord's Eternal Plan

In our day - motherhood is being demeaned and ridiculed in some avenues and by particular groups.  They say that children will be fine being raised by someone else and, they even go so far to suggest that they are better off in 'the system' which is often run by business people in far off places. 

I beg to differ and I can back that up by research as well as Prophetic statements.  But, those who deny such messages will continue the argument.  They will do and say anything to support their views - unless they yield their hearts to God and seek His wisdom and counsel.

One of my favorite statements by a Prophet of God - is this:
The greatest job that any mother will ever do will be in nurturing, teaching, lifting, encouraging, and rearing her children in righteousness and truth.  None other can adequately take her place.  Women of the Church

Many other leaders have indicated the proper and important role that women play in the Kingdom of God.


Elder Holland shared: "...may I say to mothers collectively, in the name of the Lord, you are magnificent. You are doing terrifically well. The very fact that you have been given such a responsibility is everlasting evidence of the trust your Father in Heaven has in you. He knows that your giving birth to a child does not immediately propel you into the circle of the omniscient. If you and your husband will strive to love God and live the gospel yourselves; if you will plead for that guidance and comfort of the Holy Spirit promised to the faithful; if you will go to the temple to both make and claim the promises of the most sacred covenants a woman or man can make in this world; if you will show others, including your children, the same caring, compassionate, forgiving heart you want heaven to show you; if you try your best to be the best parent you can be, you will have done all that a human being can do and all that God expects you to do."

"Mothers, we acknowledge and esteem your faith in every footstep. Please know that it is worth it then, now, and forever. And if, for whatever reason, you are making this courageous effort alone, without your husband at your side, then our prayers will be all the greater for you, and our determination to lend a helping hand even more resolute."

As a single-parent of 12+ years I have sought the guidance of the Lord in raising my children.  It's been the most difficult journey I could have had in life.  Many times I've dropped to my knees in utter exhaustion and wept tears of frustration and/or challenge.  During those times I've sought the Lord's help with all of my soul.  I've plead for understanding and inspiration as to how to best teach and nurture my children - with limited resources and emotional energy.  Answers haven't always come immediately - but, they have often come and....peace along with them.  I've learned of the Lord's gentleness and His love - even when all other answers seemed to not be forthcoming.  We have survived even when we didn't know how we would.

The testimony that has come to me during these times of personal trial and struggle - is that we have a loving Father who watches over us and wants us to grow and progress.  If He were to take away all our sorrows and struggles - he would be doing us a disservice.  We'd become weaker instead of stronger and we might not learn what we were sent here to learn and overcome.

I am now able to look upon problems as blessings in my life.  As I look back on the things I've overcome and the heartache that has been healed - I feel to praise God even more for His foresight and wisdom.  If I'd had all my prayers answered in the way that I wanted most desperately - I would not be where I am today.  All the pain and grief and suffering have helped to temper and refine me.  Because I have turned to the Lord during my hardest times - I have learned beautiful lessons and been blessed with tender spiritual gifts of understanding and compassion that I otherwise probably would not ever have learned.

As my friend Jan often reminds me "God is good".  He really is.  In fact, He epitomizes Goodness.  He is our friend and allows things to happen as part of this mortal existence as well as the agency of others'.

If this earth life were all there were - we might not understand how all things will work together for our good.  But, with the perspective that we lived before we came here,  we're here for particular reasons, and...we will live again after this life, all things make sense and find their proper place in our level of understanding.


Read More:
Our Eternal Life
Elder Cook - Our Father's Plan
Elder Perry - The Plan of Salvation
Scriptural References about The Plan of Salvation