Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Give Thanks in ALL things....

I don't always live as thankfully as I would like to - but, I am sincerely trying to do so.  I have found that it brings me greater happiness and helps me realize all that the Lord has done for me.

A few years ago I was going through the most difficult time in my life.  I didn't think that things could get any worse.  And, I was suffering a lot.  The day that I started to give thanks for the trials, and I was sincere about it, was the day that I started to see the good from all the challenges.  When I expressed thanks for poverty, the Lord helped me to see all that I had learned and become from it, when I thanked Him for an abusive relationship, He immediately opened my eyes and heart to the things I had learned from the situation and how He had led me out of it and helped me to be much more aware of the struggles and suffering of others.  I thanked Him for health problems as they had lead me to learn more about my body and the miracle it was and the things I needed to let-go of etc.  It was one of those 'aha' moments that changes hearts. 

This is just a small sampling of how gratitude has blessed my life.  Often, in prayer, I have been reminded to 'count your many blessings, name them one by one, count your many blessings see what God hath done.

I know that people may say 'it won't change anything', but, it does.  It changes the grateful person and the way they view their world.

As I ponder on the Saviors' life I realize that He went through all of this.  So, He REALLY knows.  That is why we have been counseled to 'give thanks in all things'.  It's not just a good idea.  It's a true principle that He knows will bless the 'Thanker' as well as give honor and glory to the 'Thanked'.  It is one way that we become a true disciple.

Much love to you all and wishes for a thankful Thanksgiving.  Even if things are not ideal (I've spent many holidays alone) we can find things to bless us.  Spending a holiday alone can be a blessing of time to rest and rejuvinate.  Spending it with people who are challenging - can be a way to look at things differently and seek divine help to endure.  Spending it with loved ones and in peace can be a reminder of the Prince of Peace and comes by His way of happiness.  However you spend it - know that a loving Father is aware of you and will not leave you comfortless.

Be grateful in all things.